Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blood, Sweat and Takeaways...

This is a show that comes on Planet Green, and I must say, it is a great show.  Read more about it here. It really, really makes one think about how all the food that we consume gets on our plates.  It's based in the UK, but the same premise can apply in the US - do we aimlessly consume food without thinking about what sacrifices are made to get it to us?  I have made a commitment to make healthier food choices (I don't really eat a lot of junk anyway, but sweets are my downfall), but now, since watching the show, I want to gain a better understanding of the human costs of the food I buy.  Buying more fair trade items is my preferred way of doing this, but is there more that I can do? That we all can do?

Some food for thought - many of the workers that supply some of our food survive on less than $7 per day, most others, even less than that.

P.S. There is a follow up to this/sister show called Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts. Same premise, but applied to clothing!

No comments: