Organic: To buy or not to buy?

Most people that know me well, know that I like to buy organic food, especially produce. Unfortunately, organic food is often more expensive and with the economy being the way it is, most of us (myself included), can't buy everything organic. So, when should one splurge on organics, and when is it okay to eat conventionally grown produce? I found out that certain fruits and vegetables, considered the "Dirty Dozen", carry a lot of pesticides and these are the ones that are best to buy organic. They are: peaches, apples, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, imported grapes, pears, sweet bell peppers, celery, lettuce, spinach and potatoes. The Environmental Working Group (I just love them) compiled a list of foods found here and also gives tips on how to reduce your exposure to pesticides.  Now, the national economy might be bad, but my personal economics absolutely suck!! I try to stick to fruits and veggies that are relatively inexpensive, but also have a protective skin, like bananas. Organic bananas are probably a waste of money because you don't eat the outside of the banana!  This article also contains some very good information about buying organic. Ultimately, we all have the ability to educate ourselves and make the best decisions possible.

Comments

Popular Posts